viernes, 30 de mayo de 2014

THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO (META ANALYSIS)

It was late in the afternoon. I could not sleep. All these things started to come up in my mind. And I was dreaming about the life that I’ve always wanted to have. I remembered seeing a movie; a movie directed by Woody Allen.

“I haven’t seen this movie in a while,” I whispered to myself.
Then, the last thing I can remember is that I started to think about the movie’s main protagonist. Her name was Cecilia. She reminded me about all the things I want to accomplish. But, unfortunately, I fear that my reality has overcome my dreams. At that moment, I got up from my bed and I turned my ipad on. I log into my Netflix account. I was decided to dream for one last time.

“Who knows?” I asked to myself, “Maybe, this is all the strength I need to dream again.”
I searched the title everywhere, until I found it. “The Purple Rose of Cairo,” I exclaimed, “this is it!” I hit the play button and got ready to finally discover the place where all dreams come from. As the story went by, I remembered how limitless dreams are. And I discovered what Woody Allen wanted to say about them. Undoubtedly, up on the screen, anything is possible. Anything is reachable and ready to go. Egyptian adventures, spending your whole night in a big city, affording expensive drinks, wearing fine clothes, enjoy popular night clubs, etc. Anything you could dream of comes together onto a screen.

As I mentioned it before, Cecilia, the movie’s protagonist is a woman ready to follow her dreams. I got inspired by her just by thinking that she never lost a bite hope despite the time in which she was living in. As you may or may not know, Cecilia was a young woman living in the Great Depression; a time in which millions of hopeful people escaped their crappy lives by going to engaging theatres and watching the same movie over and over. Cecilia, undeniably, saw the theatre as the most beautiful of all oasis. She knew that just by looking at that piece of paradise, all of her problems would go away. And she was right.
On her fifth time around the theatre, the film’s most notorious and flawless character appeared and seemed to call Cecilia by her name. “Me?” she says in disbelief, “You mean me?” All of a sudden, this character steped out from the black-and-white screen and went into her color world. Here, I struggled with what is truly real.

“What is reality?” I cried out to heaven, “What is real? Can someone explain me the way life works? I’m tired of getting comments such as grow up or open your eyes to reality! I’ll open up my eyes whenever I want to! ‘Till then, I’ll remain hopeful and I’ll strengthen myself with dreams and nothing else but dreams.” I’m sure Cecilia felt this way. Sadly, Cecilia ended up choosing what was real for her. She gave up her dreams for something she thought was going to bring nothing else but happiness into her life. Big mistake if you asked me. This is just another reason why I can’t comprehend women. Why she chose that? I don’t know. All I know is that you never have to give up your dreams by any circumstances. No matter how tough they may be. The only thing that soothes me is that Cecilia got to live the moment she was waiting for entire life. She had long dreamt about meeting some impossibly adventurous and romantic character from the movies, and she got to live this after all.
 
 

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario